MINUTES OF THE MEETING
TUESDAY 16TH MAY 2023
GOODNESTONE VILLAGE HALL 7:30PM
Councillor Jon Aldington (JA)
Councillor Paul Allen (PA)
Councillor Sue Baker (SB)
Councillor Lidia Long (LL)
Councillor Karen Stanford (KS)
4 Members of the Public
Acting Parish Clerk – Councillor Karen Stanford (KS)
APOLOGIESCouncillor Trevor Bartlett (TB)
Councillor Martin Porter (MP)
MINUTES OF THE MEETING 26TH MARCH 2023
Minutes for this meeting were approved and duly signed by the newly voted Chairman Jon Aldington following governance item.
Election of New Chair of Parish Council
- 2 councillors put themselves forward
- Karen Stanford – not seconded
- Jon Aldington – Seconded by Paul Allen – Vote held 4 for, 1 against.
Election of Vice-Chair of Parish Council
- 1 councillor put themselves forward
- Karen Stanford – Seconded by Jon Aldington – Vote held 5 for, 0 against.
Discussion on how to proceed with Parish Clerk
- Discussion on whether the current model was appropriate, the significant costs associated with having a paid Parish Clerk as a % of the overall precept and that even if we wanted to change finding and securing a candidate would be challenging.
- Proposal made to investigate the possibility of finding an experienced Parish Clerk – Vote held, 4 for, 1 against – ACTION for Councillor Jon Aldington
- Councillor Karen Stanford to continue acting as clerk in the meantime.
|RFO||Councillor Karen Stanford||Councillor Karen Stanford||Councillor Jon Aldington|
|Highways||Councillor Sue Baker||Councillor Jon Aldington||Councillor Lidia Long|
|Planning||Councillor Paul Allen||Councillor Sue Baker||Councillor Jon Aldington|
|Footpaths||Councillor Lidia Long||Councillor Karen Stanford||Councillor Jon Aldington|
|Financial Review||Councillor Lidia Long||Councillor Jon Aldington||Councillor Sue Baker|
Discussion on whether we should have someone in charge of improved communications. This could cover WhatsApp groups, mailing lists, Messenger input, social media etc. Agreed further workshop is required to scope out the vision and present back to the formal meeting for decision. ACTION for Councillor Lidia Long to arrange.
DISTRICT COUNCILLOR UPDATE
No report received.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Adoption of Standing Orders
Adoption of Financial Regulations
Adoption of Code of Conduct
Vote held to adopt all policies and procedures – 5 for, 0 against.
Completion of Acceptance of Office Forms
Forms completed post the meeting to be scanned and circulated to the councillors.
Completion of Declaration of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests Form
Each councillor to complete and return to DDC.
|005||Summer Fayre Organising Committee||KS/CP||In progress||Significant progress being made, funding request from PC will come to next meeting, and Christine will be invited to give an update|
|014||Internet banking application||KS||On Hold||Agreement to continue with this now as new councillors have been determined|
Councillor Lidia Long updated that work will continue clearing the remaining items on the KCC and reporting back on the vegetation issue to the appropriate teams as this is the time of significant growth.
Significant potholes across the village which have previously been reported. Agreement to encourage the villagers to report themselves as well as directing through the PC.
Broadband – ACTION for Councillor Jon Aldington arranging meeting with KCC to discuss options
Dog Poo Bins – ACTION for Councillor Lidia Long to find out costs from DDC
Village Fete including options for Parish Council contributions – Fete committee to put proposal to Parish council at next meeting
Purchase of Books
- Copies of ‘The Good Councillor’s Guide’ (£4.99 per copy,
one for each councillor, 4 copies required)
- Proposed by Councillor Jon Aldington, Seconded by Karen Stanford – Vote 5 for, 0 against
- Copy of ‘Arnold-Baker on Local Council Administration’
- Due to the level of expense Councillor Karen Stanford is taking action to look for second hand copy. ACTION for Councillor Karen Stanford
Introductory Councillor’s Training
- Introductory training – online @£50+VAT or in person @£60+VAT
- Proposal that the Parish Council Set a budget of £300 for training
- Proposed by Councillor Jon Aldington, Seconded by Councillor Karen Stanford – Vote 5 for, 0 against
- ACTION Councillor Karen Stanford to circulate training so we can decide who attends what so we have greater coverage of different courses
Invoices for Approval
|Roger Austin||Mowing||2251||£168.00||Councillor Karen Stanford||Councillor Jon Aldington|
|Roger Austin||Mowing||2255||£168.00||Councillor Karen Stanford||Councillor Jon Aldington|
|Kenny Ingram||Clips for Speed Camera||Expense||£13.08||Councillor Sue Baker||Councillor Paul Allen|
|KALC||Association for Parish Councils||£237.58||Councillor Jon Aldington||Councillor Lidia Long|
|DCC||Printing for Messenger – Feb 2023||1010358||£25.00||Councillor Jon Aldington||Councillor Karen Stanford|
|Roger Austin||Mowing & Rolling||2261||£240.00||Councillor Karen Stanford||Councillor Jon Aldington|
Nothing to report
Parishioner has written to the clerk about the lack of bus and feel the parish council response has been inadequate. ACTION for Councillor Karen Stanford to get a formal response from DDC as to whether we can get the new pay on demand bus to extend its reach to Goodnestone (note it currently covers Chillenden)
COUNCILLORS REPORT ON OTHER PARISH MATTERS
Nothing to report
The following meeting agenda has been set out, if necessary an exceptional parish council meeting can be held.21st June 2023 – Chillenden Village Hall
26th July 2023 – Goodnestone Village Hall
27th September 2023 – Chillenden Village Hall
29th November 2023 – Goodnestone Village Hall
31st January 2024 – Chillenden Village Hall
27th March 2024 – Goodnestone Village Hall
Discussion on public involvement within the Parish Council as we would like to encourage wider involvement in the meetings. Agreement to hold public contribution time at both the beginning of the meeting and at the end so view can be shared pre and post parish council discussion. It was also confirmed by the Chairman that the Councillors can actually ask for contribution from the public during the council meeting if necessary so where public views would be beneficial these can be requested.
PUBLIC CONTRIBUTION TIME:
A short session set aside for parishioners to raise matters. Members of the public may participate with Chair’s consent. Individual contributions should be kept to less than 5 minutes.
- Footpaths in Lower Rowling/towards Knowlton have not yet been cut in – Action for Councillor Lidia Long to follow up
- Request to re-instate reports from the school – Action for Councillor Lidia Long and Councillor Karen Stanford to follow up in their capacity as School Governors
- Would it be a good opportunity to increase relationships with Goodnestone Park and invite a report from them – Action for Councillor Karen Stanford to speak to Ronnie
- Police meeting on 23rd May – ACTION for Councillor Karen Stanford to circulate details to see if anyone can attend
SUMMARY OF NEW ACTIONS
|22/23 – 005||Summer Fayre Organising Committee||KS/CP||In progress||Significant progress being made, funding request from PC will come to next meeting, and Christine will be invited to give an update|
|22/23 – 014||Internet banking application||KS||On Hold||Agreement to continue with this now new councillors have been determined|
|23/24 – 001||Investigate Parish Clerk||JA||Not started|
|23/24 – 002||Communications workshop||LA||Not started|
|23/24 – 003||Broadband meeting with KCC||JA||In Progress|
|23/24 – 004||Dog Poo Bin Costing||LL||Not started|
|23/24 – 005||Purchase Good Councillors Guide||JA||Not started|
|23/24 – 006||Arnold Baker Book||KS||Complete||Copy secured for £3.40|
|23/24 – 007||Circulate training material to councillors||KS||Not started|
|23/24 – 008||DDC on Demand Bus Request for extension to Goodnestone||KS||Not started|
|23/24 – 009||Footpaths Lower Rowling/Knowlton||LL||Not started|
|23/24 – 010||School report||LL/KS||Not started|
|23/24 – 011||Goodnestone Park Report||KS||Not started|
|23/24 – 012||Police meeting||KS||Not started|
NEXT MEETING 21ST JUNE 2023 CHILLENDEN VILLAGE HALL 7:30PM